Melissa “Missy” Boyd
Missy Boyd is a key member of and a partner in High Swartz’ domestic relations/family law practice. Moreover, she is recognized as one of the top young family and matrimonial attorneys in Montgomery County and Eastern Pennsylvania. Still in her thirties, the road that Missy traveled – from Bishop Ireton High School in Alexandria VA, to graduating near the top of her class in sociology at Washington College in Chestertown, Md., to law school at the University of Baltimore, and to her career as a family lawyer – was really just a natural progression. Looking back, Missy was always passionate about family and helping people. Family law, which allowed her to combine her interest in sociology with her love of the law, was a perfect fit.
Growing up in Fort Washington, MD, just outside of Washington DC, Missy and her sisters (including her twin Melanie) were still young teenagers when their mother was diagnosed with cancer. Their mom passed away when Missy was a college freshman. That experience had a profound effect on their lives. Her father became their rock and an example of the importance of family unity, strength and commitment. Having experienced a monumental loss in her own family at such a young age, Missy has an unparalleled understanding of the trauma and personal struggles other families experience in divorce, separation, and similar situations.
During law school Missy worked with low income children in Baltimore, and learned firsthand how the legal system deals with family issues. She later worked with the American Bar Association’s Center for Children and the Law, and clerked with Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Stuart R. Berger. After moving to Pennsylvania she practiced with another law firm for two years, and then moved to High Swartz in 2004. She was attracted to High Swartz by the opportunity to work with Mary Cushing Doherty, a pillar in the family law community, who shared her family-centered, child-focused approach to practicing family law.
When you meet her, you are immediately taken by her friendliness, her self-assurance, and her ability to put you at ease. The warmth of her personality, mixed with her keen focus of the job at hand, gives clients a feeling of calm confidence. She has proven skills, and is cheerful, highly organized, and an effective multi-tasker who always strives to achieve the optimal result for her clients.
Her strong family background, her own family, including husband Jeffrey and her three young children, are her major source of inspiration. Being an advocate for children and families needing a firm voice and an effective problem solver is a rewarding and fulfilling career path for Missy. Outside of her passion for family law, Missy’s free time is happily filled with family.
If you’d like to know more about Missy’s education, legal association memberships, publications, etc., feel free to visit her formal biography on the High Swartz website.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- New Jersey, 2002
- Maryland, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Maryland, 2000
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1999
- Washington College, B.A., cum laude, 1996
Professional Affiliations & Honors:
- Pennsylvania Bar Association: Family Law Section, Women in the Profession
- Montgomery Bar Association: Board of Directors, 2012-2014, 2015; Family Law Section, Chair 2015; Judiciary Committee; Children and Youth Committee; Diversity Committee; Community Outreach Committee; Long Range Planning Committee; Leadership Academy, 2014 – 2015
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow, 2014-present
- Montgomery County Child Advocacy Project, Board of Directors, 2015 - 2021; Volunteer Attorney, 2011 - present
- Doris Jonas Freed American Inn of Court for Family Law, Member
- MBA President’s Award, 2014 Recipient
- Legal Intelligencer, 2011 Lawyers on the Fast Track
- Rising Star, Philadelphia Magazine, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers-Rising Stars Edition, 2008, 2010-2014
- Ten Leaders, Matrimonial & Divorce Law, Greater Philadelphia, Age 45 and Under
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Associate Member, 2016- present
- New Jersey Bar Association, Member
- Maryland Bar Association, Member
- Baltimore City Bar Association, Member
- Selected to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
Publications & Presentations:
- Program Moderator, PBA Family Law Section Summer Meeting, Valuation of Small Businesses in Divorce Matters, July 2014
- Presenter, A Family of Laws for the Family Lawyer, June 2014
- Course Planner, Pennsylvania’s Custody Statute: Over Two Years Later and Still Evolving, August 2013
- Presenter, Toby Lynn Dickman Seminar (Montgomery Bar Association Family Law Section), December 2012
- Presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Family Law Institute, April 2012
- Moderator, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, A Family of Laws for Family Lawyers, May 2012
- Presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania’s New Custody Statute, January 2011
- Presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section Winter Meeting, “Extra! Extra! Pennsylvania’s New Custody Statute Enacted!”, January 2011